As we begin assembling a road map for our globetrotting adventures, the world truly feels like our oyster! Where do we want to go? When should we leave? How many days (or weeks) per destination? Are we really ready to take this leap!?
For the first time in our adult lives, we have no work-related responsibilities, no daily schedule to stick to, no employee handbooks to adhere to. As young(ish), working professionals who have thrived in the corporate world for well over a decade, transitioning away from a ridged, structured environment of a big company to the dynamic and relatively unpredictable life of a nomad will definitely take some getting used to…and a healthy does of planning.
So that’s where we will start! As we start all of our trips, big and small. With a high level vision that will allow us to commence our planning efforts.
For me, constructing that vision starts with listing all of the places in the world I want to go. Spoiler alert: that list is a long one! It includes inaugural visits to countries and cities that I have never experienced, return visits to some places that I only briefly passed through before, and of course deep diving into some of our all time favorite destinations.
When Kevin first saw my list (which I left open in a Notes app on our shared laptop), he texted me cracking up and promptly told me that my list was impossible and would take at least 5 years to travel our way through. Of course he was correct, but you should start with the big picture, right?? (Note from Kevin: right…..)
After just a weekend of mulling it over I was able to consolidate my original list of 50+ destinations into a more reasonable and prioritized list by country. Obviously I still have a ton of work to do – starting with getting Kevin’s opinions and priorities. But in the meantime, here is my current brainstorm:
Top Destinations with intention to spend ~1 month in each for a total of 9 months
- Thailand: Ko Tao (or similar island/beach destination)
- Thailand: Chiang Mai (or similar major city)
- Vietnam: Hoi An
- Indonesia: Bali (specific location TBD but leaning towards Ubud or Seminyak)
- Italy: Rome, Bologna, Como (or similar major city)
- Italy: Cinque Terra, Tuscany wine country (or similar non urban destination)
- Spain / Portugal / Morocco (pick one of these 3 to base out of but travel to the other two over the course of the month)
- Mexico: CDMX, Oaxaca, Merida, Tulum
- Argentina: Buenos Aires, wine country
Additional Destinations to potentially visit covering another ~3 months
- New Zealand: Queenstown, Christchurch, Abel Tasman, wine country
- Australia: Sydney, Byron Bay, Melbourne
- Greece / Croatia
- Costa Rica
- South Africa: Cape Town, Stellenbosch wine country
- Laos: Luang Prabang
What do you think of my initial travel list? Anywhere you love that we absolutely should not miss? Comment below!